Thursday, September 10, 2015

Loeser's Kosher Deli - Kingsbridge / Bronx

There's a lot of stops on that 1 train before you finally approach a piece of the Bronx of yesteryear, a day when, at least according to one of the newspaper clippings inside, there were delis all over the north Bronx. Those clippings, 50th anniversary proclamations (from 2011), photos of famous people who have eaten there, etc. adorn the walls of this small, unassuming space.  The owner, who works the front counter, is very proud of what he has established.

Alright, on to the meat and potatoes (quite literally) of this review...   I definitely made audible sounds of enjoyment upon biting into one of my favorite hot pastrami sandwiches of this tour.  Thinly sliced, juicy... and fattier than most of the pastrami I've eaten gave this a unique, almost greasy/fried flavor that I didn't get out of other pastrami.  It's not as spiced as, say, Second Ave, but damn if this isn't delicious!  [Signs inside and outside the deli point out The Daily News' rating of Best Pastrami in NYC.]  The sandwich was served on styrofoam plates with some full sour pickle spears (crispy, just how I like em!) and some of the best coleslaw I've eaten.

I ordered a potato knish, not knowing there was a choice between a square or round knish.  I received a square, which was basically your standard Gabilah square knish.  Next time, I'll have to get the homemade round knishes, the type unique to each deli.  Also to try next time are the homemade stuffed derma and stuffed cabbage sitting in the front deli counter.  And speaking of stuffed, there are also signs advertising the knishes stuffed with pastrami or hot dogs and sauerkraut.  In fact, while I was eating there, an elderly woman came in to order a knish stuffed with just mustard and sauerkraut.

If you're taking the train all the way up here, consider taking a stroll into Van Cortlandt Park before hopping back on the 1 train at its terminal point, 242st St!

[The other kosher deli up here (Liebman's) I reviewed a while back, and it was one of my least favorite spots.]

Shana Tova!

                




Loeser's Kosher Deli
214 West 231st St, Kingsbridge, Bronx
 1  train to "231st"
(just a few storefronts away from the subway stop!)

$13.95

No comments:

Post a Comment