Monday, November 4, 2013

Liebman’s Kosher Delicatessen - Riverdale / Bronx

The plan yesterday was to make the hour-long trip to the north Bronx and visit two old-school delis.  The first stop was to be Loeser's Kosher Deli on West 231st right near the 1 train.  Unfortunately, that deli is closed on Sundays, despite being open on Saturdays... what!?  So, that review will have to wait for another time.  I then took the half-mile walk over to Liebman's, which included a picturesque fall stroll through Ewen Park (picture below).

A walk in to this deli transports you back to the 1950's (when this deli opened) with old music over the radio and a old-school look to the deli counter.  Unfortunately, my love of this place stopped there or at least shortly after biting into the tasty pickles on the table.  Liebman's served up one of my least favorite hot pastrami sandwiches so far.  Despite having an appropriate amount of fattiness to it, the pastrami was quite dry and chewy, far from the normal creamy/melty taste of the other sandwiches.  There was plenty of pastrami in the sandwich, but it just wasn't as enjoyable as many of the others I've eaten along the way.  I also had a round knish which was nothing special.  On the way out, I looked the hot dogs sizzling near the front window... I probably should've tried one of those because they smelled delicious!

Oh well, a better report from Loeser's next time!



Liebman’s Kosher Delicatessen
552 West 235th St, Riverdale, Bronx
 1  train to "231 St"
http://liebmansdeli.com/

$12.45

P.S.  I took a walk toward the Hudson River after my meal and was amazed at the gorgeous, suburban-looking homes on West 232th close to the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment